Sign in to follow this  
xxsilentroxx

Investing

Can someone help me with investing for long term? Is there any good programs/apps out right now? I would love to hear your stories! (either good or bad) I want to learn!

Can someone help me with investing for long term? Is there any good programs/apps out right now? I would love to hear your stories! (either good or bad) I want to learn!

You can earn ~7% inflation adjusted YoY returns averaged over say..20-30 years by investing in an indexed mutual fund or ETF.

I'm one of the "success" stories. Started in 2009, and kept pumping extra money into FSKAX, VTMGX, BND, VTI, VEA,VWO. 10 years later, my cost basis is about 1.5m, and my appreciation/returns are about 470k.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! But I am just getting into investing. I know I need to read more books and gain more experience. How can do I know I am investing into the right stocks? Is there a good website or any other tools that I can get a good return in?

Thank you so much for sharing your story! But I am just getting into investing.  I know I need to read more books and gain more experience. How can do I know I am investing into the right stocks? Is there a good website or any other tools that I can get a good return in?

Diversification is the standard strategy for people focusing on financial independence. You buy broad index funds (as I mentioned in my previous post) which lets you own a fraction of thousands of companies so that if one stock tanks, you don't lose 50% of your portfolio. You're counting on the market to continue the upward trend it has maintained over the last 100 years of about 7% returns averaged over a 20-30 year time period.

If you're really interested, it comes down to your savings rate vs your spending rate. Just keep investing whatever you save into index funds and 20 years later you're investments will probably have grown by 3-4x, assuming you don't continue investing. You'll have even greater returns if you do keep investing. Basic compounding interest principle.