suffocate

The Future of online chat, and private message. uTOX + GOLDEN SPY

Since everyone wants to shine... YES this app has nice GUI and completely themeable!!

https://tox.chat/clients.html

ADD ME:::

D904A1CC32CAD521AE7C5E1BE31470BD63C7871274B4F1388E85B4BCA2391C1DC66F580E87C8

µTox is the lightweight client with minimal dependencies; it not only looks pretty, it runs fast! µTox is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux (Android support is experimental), with full support for chat, file transfers, audio/video calling, and desktop sharing (both as video and inline screenshots). It also supports text group chats with audio groups pending the next Toxcore update.

The Tox Project

Tox began a few years ago, in the wake of Edward Snowden's leaks regarding NSA spying activity. The idea was to create an instant messaging application that ran without requiring the use of central servers. The system would be distributed, peer-to-peer, and end-to-end encrypted, with no way to disable any of the encryption features; at the same time, the application would be easily usable by the layperson with no practical knowledge of cryptography or distributed systems. During the Summer of 2013 a small group of developers from all around the globe formed and began working on a library implementing the Tox protocol. The library provides all of the messaging and encryption facilities, and is completely decoupled from any user-interface; for an end-user to make use of Tox, they need a Tox client. Fast-forward a few years to today, and there exist several independent Tox client projects, and the original Tox core library implementation continues to improve. Tox (both core library and clients) has thousands of users, hundreds of contributors, and the project shows no sign of slowing down.

Tox is a FOSS (Free and Open Source) project. All Tox code is open source and all development occurs in the open. Tox is developed by volunteer developers who spend their free time on it, believing in the idea of the project. Tox is not a company or any other legal organization. Currently we don't accept donations as a project, but you are welcome to reach out to developers individually.

How does Tox protect my privacy?

Tox protects your privacy by:

Removing the need to rely on central authorities to provide messenger services

Concealing your identity (in the form of meta-data, e.g. your IP address) from people who are not your authorized friends

Enforcing end-to-end encryption with perfect forward secrecy as the default and only mode of operation for all messages

Making your identity impossible to forge without the possesion of your personal private key, which never leaves your computer

How do I add someone to my contacts list?

Look in the profile or settings panel of your client to get your Tox ID which should look something like:

56A1ADE4B65B86BCD51CC73E2CD4E542179F47959FE3E0E21B4B0ACDADE51855D34D34D37CB5

Give yours to your friend and get your friend to add it. That's it.

If you want a shorter and more memorable ID, you can use a service like ToxMe, that maps an email-address-style username to a Tox ID. However, an individual concerned about their security should avoid using these services where possible. Unfortunately, the cost of this convenient name-to-Tox ID mapping is a loss of decentralization. You must trust that the entity running the service is serving you (and others looking for you) accurate information. If you're not careful, you may be subject to MITM attacks.

What happens when I remove someone from my contacts list?

If you remove someone from your contacts list, they will see you go offline, as if you closed your client normally. They can't communicate with you any longer until you add them to your contacts list again.

Does Tox leak my IP address?

Tox makes no attempt to cloak your IP address when communicating with friends, as the whole point of a peer-to-peer network is to connect you directly to your friends. A workaround does exist in the form of tunneling your Tox connections through Tor. However, a non-friend user cannot discover your IP address using only a Tox ID; your IP address will only be discernible when you accept/send a friend request, and add a user to your contacts list.

See Also: What is stopping people from tracking me through the public DHT (advanced).

Technical FAQ (advanced)

Back to user FAQ

Does Tox rely on central servers?

Which encryption algorithms does Tox employ?

Where can I find a public DHT node to bootstrap with?

What codecs does Toxcore use for audio and video?

What is stopping people from tracking me through the public DHT?

Does Tox rely on central servers?

No. That said, in some situations a client will choose to use publicly listed bootstrap nodes to find their way into the DHT.

Which encryption algorithms does Toxcore employ?

Tox uses the cryptographic primitives present in the NaCl crypto library, via libsodium. Specifically, Tox employs curve25519 for its key exchanges, xsalsa20 for symmetric encryption, and poly1305 for MACs.

Where can I find a public DHT node to bootstrap with?

Check out our public nodes list for an updated list, including machine-readable JSON output.

What codecs does Toxcore use for audio and video?

Opus for audio, and VP8 for video.

Tox does not make use of SIP.

What is stopping people from tracking me through the public DHT?

Tox generates a temporary public/private key pair used to make connections to non-friend peers in the DHT. Onion routing is used to store and locate Tox IDs, to make it more difficult to, for example, associate Alice and Bob together by who they are looking for in the network.

We don't need uTox. Switching over would make absolutely no difference.

Looks like a shitty Skype

First, Discord clearly does not support the same private features as tox.

Second, If this reminds you of a shitty version of a multibillion-dollar brand... well ill let that sink in. I've already said it was the future... not the now. Criticizing motherfuckers.

I use the command line version btw.  Yea TOX isn't one track minded looking glamorous.. However, if you missed this part you may wanna stick with whatcha know!  :fiesta:

Selection_102.png