Sign in to follow this  
TimeChangeEverything

I feel that I'm wasting my life. I’m a student in my early 20’s with few friends.

I feel that I'm wasting my life. I’m a student in my early 20’s with few friends. How can I change this situation?

Share your Inspiring Story if you have any as well

A backpacker walks into a Buddhist temple on a chilly morning. He approaches the monk and says:

“Do you ever feel like you wasted your life?

—Never. Why?

“I feel like I’m wasting mine. Please tell me how to stop wasting my life.”

—Look down at your shoes.

“What about them?”

—See how dirty they are? You’re not worthy.

“How do I become worthy?”

—Come back to me in a clean pair of shoes then I’ll tell you how to stop wasting your life.

“I don’t see how that relates.”

—Just trust me. See ya tomorrow.

The backpacker goes home, grabs a different pair of shoes, scrubs it spotless, and sets them aside for the following morning.

On his way to the temple, he steps in a pile of mud, ruining the shoes. He continues onto the temple.

—Show me your shoes.

“They’re still dirty.”

—Not good enough. Arrive in a clean pair of shoes then I’ll tell you how to stop wasting your life.

So the guy goes back home and stays up all night researching the best way to keep shoes clean in a messy environment. He puts stain guard on them, wraps them in plastic bags and goes up the mountain but he STILL gets them dirty en route to the temple.

The monk turns him away again.

“But you dont understand I-I”

—The rules were clear. Try again tomorrow.

Determined to outsmart the monk, he buys a brand new pair of shoes, puts them in his backpack and changes into them right before entering the temple the following morning.

—Show me your shoes.

He proudly steps forward.

—You think I’m stupid? There aren’t any creases in those shoes. You cheated. Try again tomor-

The backpacker SNAPS.

“This isn’t possible. The trail is strictly mud and dirt. There’s no way I can arrive in a clean pair of shoes no matter how hard I try.”

The monk smiles.

—You figured it out.

“Figured what out?”

—You feel like you’re wasting your life because you’re trying to reach the impossible. A true meaning. There is no pristine or pure path. Things get messy so you’ll just have to live with it. There’s some targets in life you can’t hit, and you must learn to accept that. Instead of trying to avoid wasting your life, think about how to dirty your shoes in a manner you can enjoy. That is how you stop wasting your life.

The backpacker thinks for a second and quietly exits. Right before shutting the door, he yells back.

“You owe me three pairs of shoes.”

The monk facepalms.

I can't give any advice sorry, but that was actually a pretty good saying with the monk. I think I will keep it for the future. Thanks :)

Monk Story was worth my 2 minutes :) , I don't have a story as i'm pretty much in the same boat.

Good luck on your journey!

Monk story was pretty good lmao

I don't have many friends, too.

But I think it's better to have less friends who are loyal than having many friends, of which some are snitches.

Keep your friend's circle close, there are many false people around you even if you dont know it.