Sign in to follow this  
dioxide

What is Amsterdam like?

I was just wondering how Amsterdam is cause i'm going to uni there in a few years. If you live there / have ever been tell me what it's like and how the people are like. Thanks  :fiesta:

Hi,

I live in the Netherlands and I am also going to Amsterdam some times. It is nice and tiny, a lot of small markets where you can buy a lot of stuff.

Clothes, bread, fish and also a lot of trash of course.

You can always chill in the VondelPark and meet some people there if you are new to Amsterdam.

Nearly everyone thinks that weet is legal, but it isn't. We have coffee shops where you can smoke and doing weet.

Overall it is a nice place without anoying people like Paris, France.

Hi,

I live in the Netherlands and I am also going to Amsterdam some times. It is nice and tiny, a lot of small markets where you can buy a lot of stuff.

You can always chill in the VondelPark and meet some people there if you are new to Amsterdam.

Nearly everyone thinks that weet is legal, but it isn't. We have coffee shops where you can smoke and doing weet.

Hi, ty for the reply. Sounds like a nice place but i'm not that fond on weed lmao

Hi,

Hi, ty for the reply. Sounds like a nice place but i'm not that fond on weed lmao

Haha no but you never know!

and oh yeah, the police here is stupid.

Hi,

Im in netherlands next week, may i visit you :kappa:

It's alright, pretty crowded, smells like weed everywhere and it is quite expensive. It really depends what you are looking for. Whatever you do, visit the red lights district. We went with my gf and had a pretty good time

theres loads of foreigners (moroccans and turks mostly), it's a pretty crowded city with alot of tourists but it's very easy to go anywhere by public transportation and trams. weed is legal so thats a plus, there's loads of other students and good night life. If you want to visit museums, etc. there's loads you can visit form the Sex Museum, Anne Frank house or to the old military museum in Soesterberg (different city)

Been there and it's shit.

Crowded, very nice people, a lot of entertainment.

Hey!

Have been to Amsterdam (as a tourist). From my eye, its not like a regular European city. It is fast, congested at places and has a lot of tourist influx. You will find middle eastern men, Asian families and newlyweds.

It is expensive but also has an amazing nightlife and party culture.

You will get high, thats all you should know

What are you going to study OP?

Computer Science

Computer Science

Great, that's what I just graduated and I've been working as software dev for 3 years now (in Scotland). If you need any advice let me know

Computer Science

Great, that's what I just graduated and I've been working as software dev for 3 years now (in Scotland). If you need any advice let me know

Oh nice, are the courses hard? and ty :)

Computer Science

Well, they are hard if you are not interested in them. Many people will drop from your course after year 2 and even 3, however you will either like it or hate it. The plus is that if you like it, it won't feel like you are studying, programming pretty much becomes a hobby as well as well as career. Just give your best in the first year and literally aim to get A on every module and then after that you will have an easy time. If your course is like mine, you will be mostly studying 1 big language (java, c# etc) and cover many other fields like web development, databases, machine learning, networking and so on. It's pretty fun

Well, they are hard if you are not interested in them. Many people will drop from your course after year 2 and even 3, however you will either like it or hate it. The plus is that if you like it, it won't feel like you are studying, programming pretty much becomes a hobby as well as well as career. Just give your best in the first year and literally aim to get A on every module and then after that you will have an easy time. If your course is like mine, you will be mostly studying 1 big language (java, c# etc) and cover many other fields like web development, databases, machine learning, networking and so on. It's pretty fun

ooh, sounds interesting. I am currently trying to learn C# and vb.net atm lol

That's perfect, you will have a huge head start. Just make sure it doesn't make you lazy because falling behind is pretty easy xD Good luck!

That's perfect, you will have a huge head start. Just make sure it doesn't make you lazy because falling behind is pretty easy xD Good luck!

Thank you! Hope your job goes well too

Hi, I do not live in Amsterdam, but friends told me that there is very cool

it's crowded and every few minutes you get weed blown at you which some may like but not me. after a day of walking there i was dizzy and couldn't walk straight anymore. something to get used to